Saturday, December 24, 2011


One Saturday, my editor at the time was arriving too late to come in and finish (or even begin is most likely the case) the weekly Sunday editorial. This was years and years ago when blogging was only just beginning and the first rounds of the mobile device, the Blackberry, had arrived on the scene. Yet, the next morning I read one of the wittiest and sharpest observation pieces he had ever created. Monday morning I asked him about the deadline. "I typed it out on the Blackberry pad. From my cramped coach seat on United, FYI." He wrote a 1,300-word editorial with only his thumbs.

In 2010, I listened to Steve Jobs give the introductory speech introducing the world to the iPad. In this talk, he mentioned how a cover of the New Yorker was created using this device. And then showed the cover to the audience. I gasped in appreciation for this work of art and wished I hadn`t allowed my supscription to The New Yorker run out.

Today, I sit waiting for a plane, admiring the strange large red bunny hanging from the terminal ceiling at the Sacramento Airport. I'm eating blue cheese hot chili fries from Jack's urban eats, and thinking on mobile devices and these two artists who used them for extreme contribution.


For Christmas this year, I received an Acer Iconia tablet--a generous gift from my mother. And now I find myself on a journey to spend Christmas in a foreign country. I'm thinking I should attempt to humbly marry the two and see what comes ...

1 comment: